Special Immigrant Juvenile – SIJ


Non-citizen minor children who are in the United States, unmarried, and need protection because they were abused, abandoned, or neglected by their parents may obtain permanent residency in the United States as Special Immigrant Juveniles. The application process requires first obtaining an order from a state family court determining that the applicant is a minor dependent of the court, that he or she was abused, abandoned, or neglected by his or her parents, and that it is not in his or her best interests to return to their home country. Upon obtaining such order from a state court, the applicant may file an immigration application with the immigration service.